2010 Demo Derby Rules
Things to Remember.
JUDGES RULINGS ARE FINAL
NO ALCOHOL IN PITS
FIGHTERS WILL BE EXPELLED
Track officials reserve the right to reject any entry. The discretion of the track officials is final.
Harassment of officials will be cause for ejection from event.
**Please note changes to the 2009 Rules. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
If car does not pass inspection or driver is unwilling to change car to pass inspection - ABSOLUTELY NO REFUNDS!!
All rules will be followed, or you will not run!!
1. Pre-registration REQUIRED!
2. Drivers and Pit Crew members MUST be 18 years of age and must sign entry form. Picture ID REQUIRED NO EXCEPTIONS!!!! The person that signs in as the driver/passenger- must be the driver/passenger for that event!
3. 16-17 Year Olds MUST HAVE A MINOR RELEASE
4. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE PROHIBITED!! ALL vehicles will be searched upon entry of the grounds. Anyone under the influence of Alcohol or illegal substances will NOT be permitted on grounds. Violation by any driver or crewmember will result in disqualification and termination of grounds.
5. Pit gates close 30min. before show time. NO cars will be inspected after that time. GET THERE EARLY AS POSSIBLE TO ENSURE YOUR CAR GETS INSPECTED!!! Pit gates open at 9 AM.
6. All drivers are responsible for their crew.
7. All drivers and pit crew must also wear shirts, long pants and boots.
8. There will be a drivers meeting 15 min. before show time. ALL drivers and crewmembers must attend the drivers meeting. Any complaints you may have, say them then.
9. Cars are subject to re-inspection before any prize money is handed out.
10. Be prepared to have your vehicle re-inspected with a bore scope or other type of fiber optic camera, and to have vehicle re-inspected at any time. The intension of these rules is to try to keep all competitors on a level playing field build within the rules. The top 5 drivers in the main event will have the opportunity to inspect the winning cars with the officials at the end of the derby. Issues must be rule specific, not opinions or interpretations.
11. NO Smoking in Derby Car!!
12. No hot rodding in the pits, keep it at an idle.
13. Drivers must stay in their cars till heat is finished.
14. No hiding in corners or playing possum or you WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. NO sandbagging or holding!!! You will be disqualified!!
15. You are given 30 seconds for aggressive hits, 2 minute for restarts.
16. You must hit a live car every 30 seconds.
17. DO NOT hit the driverís door! Sometimes this happens, but if it looks intentional or carelessness, you will be disqualified. Donít use your door as a shield; it may cause you to get disqualified.
18. Any open door will cause disqualification.
19. If car catches on fire the second time, you will be told to shut the car down.
20. If in heat, you may fix it and come back in the consolation, if there is a consolation.
21. All drivers must wear safety belts. Lap belts are OK, and helmet and eye protection.
22. The last two cars able to move and make contact automatically go to the main event.
23. All cars must be removed the night of the derby or they become fair property.
24. No extra screws, nuts, bolts, welds, chains, wire, rope, glue, adhesive, or other fasteners may be used besides what is covered in these rules!
If it doesnít say you can do it, donít do it.Call first!!
Judges decisions are FINAL!
NO REINFORCING ANYWHERE!!! Please do not try it, you will be asked to leave.
Cars are to be considered STOCK unless otherwise noted.
JUST BECAUSE IT IN NOT MENTIONED IN THE RULES, IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Any American make sedan or station wagon can be run. . No 1973 or older imperials or Imperial sub frames/ frames, 4x4ís, ambulances, hearses, trucks, limousines, compact cars, etcÖ
1. All cars must be stock, unless modification is stated in the rules.
2. All glass, plastic, chrome, and interior must be removed from car before arriving to the derby. No loose chrome, upholstery or material inside car. Rear seat MUST BE REMOVED.
3. No car decorations or protruding objects allowed.
4. All decking in station wagons MUST be removed!!!
5. No split rims, No studded tires.
6. Valve stem protectors are OK.
7. Foam filled or Doubled tires are OK-we donít want any flats!!!
8. All wheel weights must be removed.
9. No screens on side windows. Screen can be put on windshield only.
10. Hood and trunk springs MUST be removed.
11. Hood must have two 5íí holes facing the carburetor in case of fire.
12. No Trailer Hitches allowed. Airbags MUST be removed.
BODY AND FRAME:
1. All doors must be secured by a chain or welded. Itís one or the other NOT both.
2. Whole door seams CAN be welded. Welded doors may be closed with 3/8" thick rod or smaller, or 3" X ľ" metal straps or smaller. OUTSIDE SEAMS ONLY!!! Do not stack filler metal.
3. Trunk lids or tailgate must be chained or wired, in six (6) spots! It is not to go threw the frame, sheet metal to sheet metal only!!
DO NOT WELD THE TRUNK LID OR TAILGATE FROM THE INSIDE!!
4. Trunk lids may be cut or bent to tuck. Quarter panels must remain in a vertical position. If trunk lids are tucked, two (2) 8" inspection holes must be cut for inspection.
5. Car bodies must have correct frames for the manufacturer. Examples (Ford to Ford, GM to GM, Mopar to Mopar).
6. You may not re-weld any body seams.
7. No welding on frame except bumpers or bumper brackets or unless patching rust. YOU MUST PROVE YOUR RUST. Plus metal used for patching must be of the same integrity. Example: 1/8 to 1/8.
8. Rusted bodies and or frames may be patched with correct thickness steel. Patches may over lap 1" onto solid metal. All patches are subject to a drill test at the discretion of the officials. This will consist of no more than 2 holes Ĺ" in diameter per 6 inches of patch. "Over-patched" cars will not be allowed to compete.
9. Notching and pre-bending will be allowed. Do not weld the notches back together.
10. Wedging of trunk area will not be allowed.
11. Do not paint or undercoat frames inside or out. Do not grind or buff frames.
12. No pinning the frames. No concrete in frames or anything.
13. Original mounts may be replaced by bolts or all thread no larger than ĺ". Washers may not be larger than Ĺ" X 5" X 5".
14. No one big continuous washer. No welding washers to car body or frame.
15. You may cut roll and bolt your rear wheel wells with up to 3/8 bolts and a one (1) inch fender washer.
16. NO TILTING FRAMES!!
SUSPENSION AND REARS:
1. Cars may be lifted or raised, SOLID SUSPENSION IS OK. Bottom of front and rear bumper not to exceed 30 inches.
2. Any rear end may be used provided it is from a car (5 lug or less). Rears may be locked or chained.
3. No suspension conversions except airbags to coil springs. No leaf spring conversions.
4. You may use up to 7 leaf springs per side on factory leafed cars. Leafs must be from a car, NO truck springs.
5. They must each have two (2) inch step downs. The main must be the top spring. The rear must be mounted on top of the main spring.
6. No more than three replacement clamps will be allowed on each
spring pack. They may not exceed ľ" X 2" X 5".
7. Leaf springs may not be welded, wrapped, concealed or anything. They must be visible.
8. No bolting leaf springs together. Shackles may not be welded solid, they must work.
9. Shocks must remain in factory location and also be stock. You may pipe your shocks or clamp them or stuff rags in them. Call first with any questions. Judges decision is FINAL.
ROLLCAGE- this is an option for SAFETY only
1. SIDE TO SIDE BAR MAY BE USED DIRECTLY BEHIND THE DRIVERíS SEAT AND IN PLACE OF THE DASH. They must be a minimum size of 2" O.D. and a maximum of 4" O.D. They must be welded, with mounting plates not exceeding ľ" X 6" X 12". They may be connected to each other on both sides of the car. Up to 4" O.D. may be used.
2. Use of side bars, but they may not be more than 60" long. If you happen to have one of the rare few cars that measure further than 60" then call first with measurements. Rear seat bar must be directly behind the driverís seat. Seat bar must be minimum 12" from floor. Gussets may be used at joints, but no larger than 3" X 3" X ľ".
3. Rollover protection is allowed and recommended. It must be attached to the bar behind the seat. It may travel straight up across the top of the roof and be bolted to the roof in two (2) places. Non posted cars can weld the vertical bars to the roof to create posts for driver safety. Roof bars may not travel from front to back. No kickers, No down pipes ANYWHERE!
4. A windshield bar or chain may be attached from the roof to the cowl area on the front windshield area only to protect the driver. Max of 2 allowed. Windshield bars may not be connected to the cage in anyway, sheet metal to sheet metal only. NO rear window bars.
1. All bumpers must be chained or welded on.
2. Bumperetts must be removed.
3. Bumper, bumper shock and mounting brackets may be interchanged with in reason. All bumpers and mounting assemblies must be from cars and remain stock appearing. ALL mounting brackets may be welded. Bumper shocks may be welded or bolted. Bumpers may be welded directly to the frame.
4. Bumpers must be secured to the body in 2 locations each, with
chain or wire going through the bumper. If through the hood or trunk, counts as two (2) tie downs.
5. Bumper ends may be cut off or bent in. NO sharp edges please. No welding bumpers to the body.
6. Tire pokers and extra bolts will not be allowed. No stuffing the bumper. CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS:
1. Engine and transmission swapping between manufacturers is allowed. Do not strengthen frames or cross members with engine mounts.
2. Transmission coolers and engine oil coolers are allowed. You must use high pressure lines and fittings and must be in a sealed container. Gas line and hose clamps will be rejected.
3. Some type of air cleaner must be used. NO open cars will be allowed.
4. Exhaust may exit under the car or straight up through the hood.
5. Radiators must remain in their stock location if used. They may also be replaced with a closed loop system. NO excessive use of hoses. NO TANKS.
6. Metal engine driven fans Must be removed. Plastic racing style fan or electric fan with plastic blades will be allowed.
7. Water only in cooling system. Please drain antifreeze prior to arrival at the track.
8. Two batteries are allowed and must be fastened down and covered. NO bungee cords, zip screws or metal plumbers straps. USE YOUR HEAD!
9. Distributor protectors are allowed ONLY, although they may not be used to strengthen anything.
10. No engine protectors, NO gas tank protectors.
11. Electric fuel pumps are allowed, BUT must be marked: "ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP SHUT OFF".
12. Car MUST have functional brakes to start event.
13. Original gas tanks must be removed from car. Gas tanks must be securely mounted in the backseat area and must be covered or contained within a cell and cannot be more than a 5 gallon capacity. They must be covered and be a marine style fuel cell or equivalent. (Fuel must be contained in a liquid tight container that is approved for gas).
14. No Plastic 5 gallon pails, or 5 gallon plastic gas cans.
15. Air conditioning systems must be drained before entering the fairgrounds.
Any 15 inch or less DOT approved passenger tire
Tires may NOT be filled with any liquid
Tubes, foam, and other tires OK